Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Monday, February 16, 2009

It's that time again....

to start gardening! I had almost decided not to have a garden this year as last year was a horrible flop....but I talked myself into it! ;) This year I decided to try starting seed indoors...hopefully I'm not too late already! First I bought these little guys.....

They are compressed peat, and when you add water, they change into this! Ready for planting seeds....

Another option is to fill foam cups with potting soil, and cover with baggies/rubber bands to create a little hot house.... And these, (tulips and hyacinths) got planted out the front along with pastel gladiolas! I want to have lots of cut flowers this year to brighten the home with, along with all the roses.
I also bought 4 blueberry plants, and my dear darling husband planted two more peach trees for me! Our first one has done amazing, and has some of the best fruit ever. We chose two different varieties so that we can have an extended harvest. We have really bad dirt out the front, so we'll have to see how that one will make it! The seeds we planted indoors were Jalapeno peppers, tomatoes (2 kinds), marigolds (to help repel bugs in the garden), zinnias (bright bold flowers to attract bees), brussel sprouts, broccoli, zucchini, yellow squash, butternut, and I don't remember anymore! Then today, I got outside, and with Jorge helping we planted 3 packets of peas, tied up all the blackberry brambles (I hope we get some fruit off them this year?), and watered our cherry bushes (also hoping for a first crop this year...I got one baby cherry last year...LOL) I have also pruned our big peach tree and our pear tree....for the first time....scary stuff that pruning....but it had to be done!

I also need to contact Gurneys and see about getting some replacement plants. They have a lifetime guarantee on their plants, and I bought raspberries, but they all died. I also have a tree, a Lil' Big Sundance, and all of it died but the bottome 6 inches, which finally sent off shoots, and then because it was still so little, the dog attacked it! I have pruned it back and will wait and see what happens, but I'll let them know the story, and see what they say. They may not replace it seeing as the dog dealt the final blow, but it can't hurt to see, I guess.

I'd love to hear if anyone else is gardening too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

well, when you come over here in a few weeks, maybe you can plan out something for my yard, too! :)